Pockley St John The Baptist
Name: St John the Baptist
Date of Temple Moore Work: 1876, 1885, 1893, 1898
Work done: Rebuilding, furnishings, fittings
Opening times: The church is open during the day. Please see www.achurchnearyou.com/pockley-st-john-the-baptist for information. Disabled access is limited as there are steps to get up.
Lord Feversham commissioned George Gilbert Scott for the rebuilding of the church at Pockley, and the young Moore worked as an assistant to his master. He also provided furnishings and fittings many years later. These included the design of the iron cross in 1885, and the screen in 1898. He also supervised the installation of the east window by the stained glass artist Milner in 1893. Victor Milner was the glass artist that Temple Moore used in the majority of his commissions.
Throughout Moore's career the same names of builders, artists and craftsmen appear as he employed them over multiple projects. He maintained relationships throughout his career, a pattern indicated early on when he remained a loyal friend to George Gilbert Scott junior at a time when Scott's life and reputation were disintegrating because of his illness. Moore was often able to secure repeat business from clients he had worked with years before.
The victorian heating system at Pockley, including a small railway under the church to the coal to the boiler, was restored in 2012.
The church cemetery is in a field about half a mile away. To reach it follow a footpath sign across a field, just down the road on the opposite side from the church.